Welcome to Not Babysitting

Hi, I'm Scott. Welcome to Not Babysitting.

Stories about being a first time father, first time parent, and how those are different. (I'll also throw in some science, wood-working, cooking, and urban farming along the way).

7/26/2017 - Due Date in 38 Days (+/- 14)

We join a story in progress...

I quit my full time job as a food scientist to go back to school. I'm current a third year PhD candidate working on my dissertation in Nutritional Epidemiology.

I'm also a soon-to-be father of a baby girl.

My wife is the primary breadwinner and will be going back to work after her pittance of a 6 week leave post-delivery (short term disability, not even true maternity leave). I, however, am somehow lucky enough to get 8 weeks fully paid paternity leave.

Our current plan is for me to be a stay at home dad after my wife goes back to work.  I'll get to navigate taking care of our child during the day, writing a dissertation, finding grad students to play with a baby for an hour while I run to campus for a meeting, and all manner of first time parent disasters.

I also expect that I will join the brotherhood of fathers called babysitters by well-meaning mothers.

38 days until baby Julia is born (if she's right on time) and I've already been asked if I'm going to "help out."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Dad vs Good Mom - Breastfeeding Edition

NotBabysitting in the Woodshop - Chair Leg Dragonflies